Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cycling the New Bay Bridge

The delays in approval and construction may have been gratuitous, the cost overruns inevitable, the political wrangling regretable, but you can forget the naysayers' pronouncements because the new eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge is stunningly beautiful. Including the pedestrian/bike path in the design was an excellent decision because it gives citizens and taxpayers an up-close way to view the bridge.  A busy work schedule on Tuesday kept me from attending the official opening ceremony for the Alexander Zuckermann Bicycle-Pedestrian Path, but yesterday I found time to cycle the new bridge on my commute to work at the Oakland Airport. Beautiful cycling weather made for a heady and inspiring experience.

Rules, Rules, Rules

Local TV news reporters, always looking for drama, claimed in a story last night that bicyclists are exceeding the 15 MPH speed limit on the new path. I can say that bike speed is not a problem westbound due to the uphill climb and the prevailing winds. Controlling your bike speed when eastbound can be a challenge given the inevitable tailwind, the downward incline, and the fact that many cyclists don't have bike computers or any objective measure of their speed. I was riding my brakes on most of my return trip (eastbound). When I got home, I checked MapMyRide and found that I actually exceeded the 15 MPH limit, reaching a top speed of 17.2 MPH at one point. My bad.



On my 1 hour visit I saw hundreds of cyclists and pedestrians, I didn't observe any cyclists going excessively fast. I did see numerous CHP officers on bike (I said "Hi" but most were not very friendly). I also saw many users blithely ignoring the trail markings of where pedestrians should walk and where cyclists should travel. Are Americans generally so clueless? Sadly, it seems many of us are clueless. When given instructions on what to do, many of us just do as we please, apparently insisting that liberty and freedom relieve us of any responsibility to be good citizen and to occasionally think of others. Ah, America!

Trail to Somewhere

As it stands, the Zuckermann path does not go all the way to Treasure Island/Yerba Buena. Being that the path is on the southeast side of the bridge, the old bridge is in the way of constructing a landing for the path. The completion of the landing is scheduled within a year or two, depending on who you talk to. Even as it currently exists, the path is well worth a short bike ride or longish hike. Not only for the views, but for a close up look at both the new structure and the old bridge.

Approaching the bridge from Shellmound Street in Emeryville, you can see all of the old pavement and structure that was removed over the Labor Day weekend to make way for the temporary ramp to the bike path.

The temporary ramp to the bridge is constructed of wood with a steel plate overlay.






There are turnouts at regular intervals along the path where you can sit on a bench, catch your breath, or appreciate the old bridge that served the Bay Area so well for over half a century.






Gleaming White and Graceful

I heard an architecture critic say on the radio last week that the new Bay Bridge span was okay, but didn't have the iconic beauty of the Golden Gate. I disagree because these two bridges came from different generations. I find the arcing arrangement of cables and the single tower to be ... dare I say it ... breathtaking. Riding back to Oakland, I found myself marveling at the amazing contributions we can make to our communities and to generations yet-to-come, once we find a way to cooperate, roll up our sleeves and get to work. Consider the tens of thousands of person-hours that went into the design and construction of this structure or just stop and enjoy the view, but by all means do visit the Zuckerman path. Remember that the process of dismantling the old cantilever span will start soon, so you may want to get a last look at the old bridge before it's gone. Like me, you may find yourself realizing you are two-thirds of the way to reaching San Francisco and conclude that continuing the path the rest of the way is a no-brainer.



No comments:

Post a Comment