Monday, March 25, 2013

More Mundo Upgrades


The beauty of a cargo bike is that you can carry most anything you need. I've carried, on separate occasions: four full bags of groceries (about 90 pounds), 24 cans of dog food, two 14 pound bags of dog food, a dozen or so vegetable plantings, and so on. On recreational rides with my spouse, the heavy weight of the Yuba Mundo makes me a better (slower) riding companion. When possible, we've taken to devoting ourselves to making Sundays a gasoline-free day - no car, just transportation by bike or by shanks mare. And I continue to enjoy tinkering and modifying the Mundo, too.

A cargo deck for the Mundo's rear rack was something I wanted from the start, but the current bamboo cargo deck sold by Yuba won't work with the version 1 frame I have. A brief web search uncovered Joe George's post describing how he created a cargo deck for his Mundo. I decided to create something a bit lighter.

Started with 1/4" marine-grade plywood
A bit of cutting, shaping, sanding, and fiddling was required. After finalizing the dimensions, a light, honey-colored stain was added and then two coats of polyurethane satin varnish, with some sanding in between.



I decided to attach the deck using p-shaped clamps.




Finished product

The next issue to be tackled was the seat post. You see, about 12 years ago I underwent lower back surgery to remove a L5/S1 free disk fragment. The surgery was very successful and cycling doesn't generally bother my back, but the Mundo's more upright riding position was proving problematic. Shocks and bumps were being transmitted more directly through my spine, resulting in back soreness. More investigation and research uncovered the Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post. Designed for hard-tail mountain bikes, the shorter travel Thudbuster ST seat post seemed to be good solution. I opted for the 27.2mm diameter version in the longer, 400mm version. This required a shim since the Mundo's seat tube diameter is approximately 30.3mm, but have no fear: Thudbuster.com has shims, too. Installation was simple and the results? No more sore back.


The original 6-speed drivetrain, while geared with a pretty low gear, was inadequate for carrying 100-plus pounds of cargo up the rolling hills of North Berkeley. So I acquired a SRAM triple-crank, clamp-on front derailleur, and shifter. Yet without a braze-on cable stop for a front derailleur, another solution was needed. Enter the ProblemSolver clamp-on cable stop.

Rear view

Front view

The last bit of customization, at least so far, was the addition of a whimsical decal. You see, I'd nicknamed this bike and for less than $12 (including shipping), Do it Yourself Lettering allowed me to ... well ...


10 comments:

  1. What clamp size does that front derailleur have? Yuba said the outside diameter of the seat tube is 36mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazed you found this post as this blog has been dormant for quite some time. Anyway ...

    I just put digital calipers on the downtime on my frame and it read 35.5mm.

    Be advised my Mundo is one of the earliest versions. It has a "Made in the EU" label and no serial number. It may very well be a prototype.

    Production versions may have different dimensions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er ... that should have read downtube not downtime

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Your x5 derailleur has a 34.9 mm clamp?

    I got a Yuba Mundo v1 and wanted to do the same upgrades you did. Need lowering gearing. The seat tube seems to be an odd diameter. So wondering which derailleur clamp size you used and if you had to shim it or other modification.

    Are you still riding it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, still riding my Mundo for grocery shopping, pet food runs, etc.

    Here's the parts list I found in my email history. I don't recall using a shim. I ordered two different sizes of the problem solvers backstop. Don't remember why after 4 years, but suspect the 1-3/8" was the one that worked.

    Good luck!

    Mundo upgrades

    SRAM S600 Crankset - 3 x 8-speed, 175mm x 42-32-22T, Square Taper, Black
    SRAM X.5 Lo Clamp Dual Pull 3 x 9 31.8/34.9 Front Derailleur Black
    SRAM X.3 Trigger ESP Shifter Set - 3x7 Speed
    Problem Solvers Problem Solvers dual cable Backstop 1-3/8" (34.9) (BR5456)
    Problem Solvers Problem Solvers dual cable Backstop 1-1/2" (38) cable with slots (BR5457)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this list! Very helpful.

    By the way I found your blog originally looking for a deck solution. How's that holding up to the weather/wear and tear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome. My wooden rear deck still looks pretty good, in spite of riding in occasional rain showers and having stuff strapped to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I'm on Twitter @avimentor. You can seem more bike related stuff there. May be an easier way to communicate ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Dont know if anyone is still looking at this thread.... I just acquired an old yuba frame the same as this. I tried fitting a shimano front derailleur I had spare but the cage hits the frame as there are the two angled tubes behind the seat tubes. Did you have any issues with this? Perhaps the SRAM x5 has a different shaped cage.. Do you know what the chainline of the front chainset works out to be? Thanks! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know what the chainline is, but my setup (see parts list above) is still working fine after nearly 5 years.

    ReplyDelete